Cyberattacks, typically ransomware attacks are not only confined to rich industrialized countries, but the small and third world countries also aren’t safe anymore. In 2018, the third world countries such as Africa, Central and South America, South East Asia and the Middle East had their worse experiences with cyber-attacks especially ransomware.
With the passage of years and advancements in technology, we will see a rapid increase in cyber crimes. There are five ransomware trends to watch for in 2019:
1) Ransomware market will reach its peak, but only a few campaigns will have an impact
There are masses and oodles of ransomware campaigns that follow an outline and form, where the biggest noise comes from the bogus “how to remove X ransomware” websites. The good thing is, they generate little to minimum threat. These campaigns die out really quick.
635 ransomware campaigns were recorded in January of 2017, the number increased to 1,105 in February 2018 while 1,463 were tracked at the end of January 2019.
2) Mirai-style botnet installing ransomware will not be present
This type of ransomware attacks WordPress websites. It does so by replacing the homepage of a website with a ransom demanding note. There are two main reasons why attack on internet routers won’t work anymore
- Since there is no view screen on these devices, no one can find out that they’ve been attacked by ransomware.
- Internet routers can easily be replaced because when you tell your ISP that your router isn’t working, they will find out, but won’t tell you, rather replace the router for you – it’s that simple.
3) The deterioration in ransomware is possible because of law enforcement action
There have been many arrests since 2016 by law enforcement agencies. In May the gang behind the Angler Exploit Kit was arrested and in December Avalanche Malware Service team was arrested.
This only proves that law enforcement is only getting stronger and is ready to compete against ransomware or any type of malware and cyber-attacks.
4) Sophistication in future attacks
Enterprises and companies will need to research and find out more about sophisticated dealings and solutions because cyber criminals will only become more criminalized, perilous and disparaging as well as more demanding as the time passes.
5) Backup plans are expected to fail
Backup plans are likely to fail if they’re not checked regularly and carefully. This is why it is so important to check your computer security beforehand as they say “better late than never”.
“You need to know what you’ll do when everyone’s looking at you and you’re losing money by the hour,” Sunkara and Matters explain.
Companies need to experiment their backup procedures so when a calamity befalls, the backup doesn’t fail. Experimenting will only help and save them from falling into a bigger pit hole.