Ransomware, a malicious malware that is released into the computer systems via deceptive emails or compromised links on the webpages, infects the system and locks down the data until the demanded ransom is paid. Ransomware Recovery is imperative to liberate the system from the malware at the earliest and release the encrypted files.
The most uncomplicated way for ransomware removal is to pay the demanded ransom to the crooks to attain the decryption key. However, most cybersecurity officials, including the FBI are against the idea of paying the ransom. This only promotes additional attacks by cybercriminals, serving as a lucrative source of generating money. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the criminal would grant the decryption key even after the payment of ransom that would unlock all your files, thereby making ransomware recovery even more difficult.
If your system is attacked by ransomware, a number of crucial measures need to be taken to restore it back. Let’s discuss them briefly:
- The first step is to immediately isolate the system that has been attacked and disconnect it and separate all the infected computers from the central network and storage devices in order to prevent the infection from spreading to other related systems.
- The identification of the kind of ransomware is crucial in determining the spread of malware, its target files, and how it spreads, and what options to consider for removal. However, in most cases, the ransomware will identify itself when it appears on the screen demanding ransom.
- It is highly imperative to report the attack to the authorities such as the FBI regardless of whether you attain the decryption key or not. This is essential to make the law enforcement aware of the expanding threat, provide relevant information for investigative purposes in attempts to detect cyber crooks.
- Next, you need to determine what tools to deploy for ransomware recovery and removal. Decryptors and other tools may be available to disinfect the system. However, at this point, it is essential to ensure that you have a sound backup that was not corrupted by the malware.
- Try to get rid of the malware either by removing the malware from the system using anti-malware software or completely wiping off the computer and then reinstalling all the operating systems and applications and restoring the data through backups.
Numerous software programs have emerged online in response to the ever-increasing rate of this cybercrime, which can help you get rid of the infection. However, there is no assurance that the Ransomware will be absolutely removed. This is because the software may not have a working decryption key to unlock the files due to the advanced algorithms used by the cybercriminals to develop the encryptor, or it might have already been used for older versions, rendering it useless.
Ransomware is a serious threat that cannot be taken frivolously. It is therefore recommended to contact cybersecurity officials to restore the system, rather than negotiating with the criminals on your own as they have the expertise required. Although it is possible to remove the virus by following the procedure above, it is risky for an amateur to deal with such a perilous situation.
- The experts are able to negotiate with the attackers professionally and might reduce the ransom demanded as well as other indirect costs.
- They can easily evaluate the scale and complexity of the attack, and analyze the current situation to determine how to remove the attack.
- These experts possess the knowledge, expertise, and skills to detect any other faults in the system, or any other dormant attack that might exist, which the victims on their own are unable to do.
- They have the proven track record to safely restore the data and deploy the decryption key without further damages to the systems.
- Experts have the latest technical information to update the software and upgrade the IT infrastructure of the organization, mitigating the chances of any future attacks.
- They are extremely cautious of the confidentiality of the client’s data and other private information that needs to be protected.
A naive organization dealing with the attack for the first time is not capable enough to meticulously tackle the issue, making it essential to hire cybersecurity officials who possess the necessary expertise to deal with the catastrophe.