Ransomware is a software designed to unlawfully block access to a computer, which is used to hack a system in which a hacked system is release after receiving some money.
How does it work:
The ransomware can access your computer in several ways, but the most common one is phishing scam, in which a spam comes in the form of an attachment in an email, masked as a trustable file. Sometimes these files trick users to gain administrative access, but some more treacherous ransomware gains access from security loops and infects the system without the user ever knowing.
How to prevent a ransomware attack:
To prevent ransomware, your ransomware recovery plan should have the following steps:
1. Install an antivirus software in your computer and always keep it up-to-dated.
2. Keep your system and OS up-to-dated.
3. Don’t click on random links from untrusted sources.
4. Never install random software or allow it administrative access.
5. Create backups frequently and automatically. So, you will be able to restore your data in case of a ransomware attack.
How to detect ransomware on your computer:
Here are some tips to detect ransomware on your computer.
1. Check the email address. The hacker forge fake email address almost similar to real ones.
2. Check suspicious emails thoroughly, better yet call and directly talk to the person or organization that sent the mail. Or simply ignore it.
3. Never click on links before carefully inspecting it, even if it is from a trusted resource. The most common way for hackers to enter your system is by random links.
4. Always be cautious before downloading a file attachment, most infected files are hidden in zip folders.
5. If your system gets attacked by ransomware don’t give in to the hacker’s demand for money. There is no surety even after payment that the hacker will handover you the pass key.
How to recover from ransomware
If your system is attacked by ransomware don’t loose hope, you still can recover your data through your ransomware recovery plan.
Reboot to safe mode
1. Hold down shift and restart the system
2. When the screen comes back, you will get three options
3. Click troubleshoot
4. Click advanced options
5. Then click startup settings and restart
6. This will put your system in selective boot mode
7. When the computer boots out of BIOS, you will get a list, press F4 to enter Safe mode.
Install cyber security software
1. Install a free anti malware software such as Malwarebytes or hitman pro
2. Run the software to find and remove malware (Locky)
Run a system scan:
1. If the scanning detects and removes the Locky, system will require reboot.
2. Enter safe mode again after reboot.
3. Again, open the antivirus software Malwarebytes.
4. Scan drive C and E.
5. Hit the check box, saying Rootkits and scan.
6. When the scan is done use another anti malware software.
Restore the computer to a previous state.
1. Restore your computer at a previous point before it got infected.
2. Go to system by right clicking and selecting.
3. Choose system protections from there, you will see the option of system Restore.
4. Restore your system to an automatically created restore point.
5. Go to control panel.
6. Select backup and restore to restore your files from the backup